Growers of native planted farm forests and timber experts are getting together to share their knowledge and experience.
Join Rowan Reid, author of "Heartwood", for a Master TreeGrower Prep Course.
The prep course will run for 2 days, 10th - 11th of March, beginning at Southern Cross University in Lismore, and visiting nearby growers' properties. During the weekend, the dates for the remainder of the course will be agreed by the participants.
1. Introduction to Quality Timber Traders
- Project activities including SCU research
2. Log, Tree and Forest Measurement
- DBH, Volume, Basal Area, etc.
- Field exercise using MTG tape to measure logs and trees
3. Harvesting Techniques and Equipment
- Options for felling and extracting timber
- Effect of site, scale, log size, access, transport etc. on costs
4. Milling Techniques and Equipment
- Appropriate milling patterns to provide marketable timber
- Band saw versus swing blade
- Practical demonstrations
5. Air Drying and Solar Kiln Drying
6. Markets for Local Farm Grown Timber
- Review local wood markets and prices
- Discussion about wood quality issues, including timber and log specifications
7. Review Next Steps
- Discussion to review the practical and research questions, sources of information and the next steps
Rowan Reid (MTG), Dr Graeme Palmer (SCU), Dr Kevin Glencross (SCU), Martin Novak (SFFA), Dr Joe Harvey Jones (SFFA) and Tony Kenway (TKF)
Saturday: Start at 9:00 am and finish at 4:00 pm
Sunday: Start at 9.30 am finish at 4:30 pm
Start venue is at Southern Cross University (SCU) A Block Room A205
Cost for non-QTT registered members will be $100
QTT members are FREE
For more background information please visit Agro Forestry
Places are limited so please register below or RSVP to Martin Novak on 0414 895 523
Photo: Rowan Reid, who runs the non-profit Australian Agroforestry Foundation, encouraging farmers to plant trees for profit and conservation, on his tree-studded sheep farm in the Otway Ranges.